If you are a family member who needs information and support regarding your child’s gender expression or identity, Gender Diversity can help. Our weekly peer support groups for parents and guardians began in 2008, making it the longest running and largest network of support groups in the country. Our groups meet in the Seattle and greater Puget Sound area. In 2018 we will be launching our online, virtual support groups for families across the nation who might have fewer resources than we Pacific Northwesterners enjoy.
The Gender Diversity Family Support groups are for families with trans and gender-diverse children. We screen all group attendees to ensure that the groups are safe. Please contact us at email@example.com to schedule a telephone intake call prior to attending your first meeting.
Among the topics addressed at our group meetings:
- Is this a phase?
- What if my child changes his/her mind?
- Are trainings available for my child’s school?
- Are there other families like mine?
- How is this different from being gay?
- How do I talk to friends, family, and co-workers about this?
- How do we find a good doctor (therapist, school, etc.)?
- My spouse and I disagree on how to address this issue. What should we do?
- Did my parenting in some way cause this?
- How do I legally change my child’s ID documents?
Family Support Groups In Washington
We screen all group participants. Please schedule your intake call today at firstname.lastname@example.org. During the call, you will receive additional information, including meeting locations.
Gender Diversity Teens
Teens (age ~15 to 20) who are trans or gender-diverse are welcome to attend the Teen Group anytime. Additional teen group activities are scheduled throughout the year. Contact us for more information.
Gender Diversity Youth – Online
Our online youth group includes access to the Gender Diversity Youth page on Facebook. This is a closed group so you’ll have to contact us to get an invite – we’d love to have you!
There is no concurrent Gender Diversity program for teens at the Tacoma meeting, as the Oasis Youth Center offers a number of teen groups. More info about teens can be found here: http://www.oasisyouthcenter.org/home